Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Today I took a bit of a risk. I got a call from the orchestra/chamber music manager at Mannes today saying that a cellist had just dropped out, and he needed someone to play the Brahms clarinet trio on October 20th. No small cello part, only a month to learn it, and two other chamber groups besides, one a modern clarinet trio by a composer I've never heard of (Lyon?), and the other the Tchaikovsky piano trio. But yeah, of course I took on the Brahms, it's one I've been meaning to learn for a long time, and frankly, I had so much fun doing chamber music at TMC this summer that I'll take all I can get. I'm just praying right now that I didn't hideously overbook myself. I'll find out next week. Despite feeling somewhat nervous about the situation (this is definitely the most I've ever had on my plate at one time . . . I know it's commonplace for some of us, David, but not for me), I'm also excited. I'm pretty sure I can handle it. It's only a month of insanity anyways. And when I told Mr. Eddy he said I should definitely do it. Speaking of Eddy . . .
He's definitely tougher than my other teachers. Not more overtly demanding, but he seems to expect more. I've been working on Dvorak for maybe 3 weeks now, but only on and off, and mostly on the exposition to the first movement, and today when I played the second half of the first movement (you know, the hard stuff) and missed a bunch of 6ths, he said he was surprised. I guess he has high expectations. So now I have to do a bunch of exercises to do this week to fix this structural deficiency. I gotta admit I'm pleased that he doesn't let me get away with much, and he definitely does it nicely. He wasn't mean about the out of tune notes, just very direct and matter-of-fact. I think I'm going to accomplish a lot with his help.
I'm getting used to International House. As with any dorm it has its certain times when it's tough to practice, or tough to do laundry, and one just has to take that into account. I am starting to like my tiny room, at least. It's kinda nice to have everything within reach, and its small size gives me a big incentive to actually keep it somewhat (emphasis on somewhat) clean. At least it has the sink in it. I don't think I'd be able to live without that sink (god knows many here do), since I eat a lot of food here in my room and have to do dishes daily. Certainly makes my life easier. Oh, and apparently the clarinetist from both my clarinet trios lives here too. Might make scheduling rehearsals a bit easier, since we can rehearse here, provided our pianist isn't averse to making the trek.
FInally things are starting, and I'm practicing regularly. It's nice to be busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home