Sunday, May 06, 2007

Looks like a busy week ahead. I'll be playing with the symphony all week, which means my evenings are shot to hell. Plus we're doing Carmina Burana, a piece with some great moments, but goddamn is it LONG. I was going to pick up the music ahead of time and give it a quick once-over, but I forgot. Ah well. Tomorrow night's rehearsal will be exciting.
My quartet is performing all of Beethoven 59 no. 2 on Wednesday. I'll be glad to get it over with, honestly. I like my group well enough, but I've got this recital to plan and work on, and frankly I just don't really feel like playing in a quartet right now. Tomorrow's our last coaching. Our coach is kind of a strange guy. He's an excellent quartet cellist, but he seems to have some pretty whacked ideas about tempo. On our first coaching he was telling us to play as close as we could to Beethoven's metronome markings, which we were sort of doing, and now he wants us to go slower, especially in the last movement. I don't get him. But I suppose I learned something this semester. Plus, the coachings were free for me, since I never officially registered, since I joined the group right on the drop/add deadline.
I finally got my shit together and wrote my personal statement up for International House. Now to fill out the rest of the paperwork, and maybe I'll get to live there next year. That'd be damn awesome.
Today I played 85 minutes in a 90 minute soccer game. I play in this coed league, and the rules are you have to have at least 5 women on the field at all times, but only 4 showed up today, and 8 men, so we had one guy sub, but we had to play with only 10 on the field. Then at the beginning of the first half one guy hurt himself, so we had to play the rest of the game with no subs. My legs held up surprisingly well, I wouldn't have thought myself capable of running a whole game. Of course, by the last 10 minutes I was too tired to kick the ball very hard, but at least I kept going. Almost inspires me to try jogging, although right now I'm sore as can be.
Next week is the big event: Sara's Recital/big reunion. I'm glad so many people could make it up there, it'll be a blast. Now if only we could get a certain "I'm too good for all of them" Ms. Fitch out there, and maybe fly a few more in from overseas, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others (ah yes, Florida girl) . . . ah well. Some other day.

2 Comments:

Blogger kimberlyfitch said...

I AM NOT "I'M TOO GOOD FOR ALL OF THEM, MS FITCH"!!!!!!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I wish I could go to Rochester too! If I didn't have a performance that night, I probably would have bought myself a plane ticket last week...

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home