Sunday, August 26, 2007

Well, time for the first update in a LONG time. I just got to NYC from Tanglewood a few days ago. I never felt like updating while at Tanglewood because, frankly, I hate typing on a laptop keyboard. It just feels so cramped. But anyways . . .

Tanglewood was pretty amazing, in many ways. I had a great string quartet, the sort of people I hope to have in every group I play in in the future. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing with anyone. And the performance went really, really well. Listening to the recording only confirmed that impression. Nice when that happens, for once. And Andrew Jennings is an amazing coach, for the record. He actually had our group play Haydn as new and exciting music, which in many ways it always will be, and it was a thrill to work with him. The other high point was the week I spent with Pam and Claude Frank working on the Schubert Bb piano trio. Admittedly, our group didn't gel quite as well, we had some issues early on, and some issues during the performance, but at least the day before the performance, I think we managed to get the piece quite well. Some things just didn't happen as I wanted them to, under pressure and all. But still the experience was great, the Franks were amazing coaches, and it was quite something to hear them play. I was lucky enough to play the entire scherzo movement with them when Pam wanted to demonstrate some things, and that was an experience, to be sure. Also, playing Don Carlo with James Levine and a bunch of MET singers was pretty cool too. Levine is by far the most interesting conductor I've ever worked with . . . he's someone who everyone who ever has the chance should work with, I learned so much from him. What a musician.

Anyways, beyond that, the orchestra was pretty damn good (by far the best I've worked with), and we definitely has some great performances, and some performances that went better than they had any right to. I made some friends as well, and fortunately for me, a lot of them are New York people, so I'll be seeing many of them this year. I now know quite a few Juilliard folks, which is good, since that's the school I figured I'd have the least contact with of the three, being that Manhattan is right across the street.

Anyways, as for New York . . .
I'm so glad to be living here in many ways, but in others it's an adjustment. The room I'm living in at I-House is quite small . . . or was, anyways, until I moved my bed. Now it actually feels like I have plenty of space, and am quite content with it. Everything is expensive here, but actually, food is still pretty affordable, especially produce. There are so many stands around here selling fruits and vegetables, that it's actually pretty easy to find good deals on those things, basically as cheap as the public market in Rochester. Like I bought 3 very nice red and yellow peppers for a dollar the other day. That made me happy. And 4 peaches for the same. Happy day. And speaking of food, the dining center here at I-House is actually quite good and the prices are very reasonable. So it looks like food isn't going to break my budget, something I had worried about. Other than that, I must admit, I don't have much of an opinion about this place or New York yet, as, well, I haven't done much. I've been on a little mental vacation, doing a bit of practicing, but mostly doing nothing, which is exactly the way I like it. I'll have plenty of time later to get all busy and do fun and exciting New York things, but for right now, I'm content to do nothing.

Wandered down to Central Park the other day with a future Mannes student and friend from an earlier festival (pretty much the only thing I HAVE done since getting here, aside from occasional trips to the local supermarket, which is AMAZING I might add). We definitely managed to walk down the wrong street to get there, which in the day obviously is fine, but it drove home the fact that until I know the city better, I should restrict my night-time wanderings. New York seems funny that way, some places are really nice, and then 2 blocks later, you have an entire few blocks of, well, projects. Kinda like Rochester in that sense, except a bit more surprising, since in Rochester you EXPECT that.

Anyways, in the spirit of doing nothing, I might add that yesterday I finally acheived my long-time goal of breaking 120 seconds on the expert mode of Minesweeper, completing it in 106. Go me.

More updates pending as more stuff actually happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home